Friday, April 12, 2013

SNOWCHILD

We've had so much snow this yea --all the way through March. We even experienced the first actual "blizzard" that I can remember. And I suddenly realized this week that I had not shared my "snow" poem on this blog, so (even though I can feel a hint of spring in the air) I think I'll go ahead and post it anyway.


The photograph is of my gorgeous Blue Spruce tree in my front yard.
SNOWCHILD                                                   
When I was a child, I thought as a child,
And snow was a thing so delightful!
From school we were free; we got wet to the knees,
And our mom’s day was thrown all off schedule.
But now that I’m grown, I must do on my own
All the chores Mom and Dad used to dread:
Stock up food by the loads, drive on slippery roads,
Shovel snow, and repair that old sled.
Now I look with dismay at the skies leaden gray
As I trudge to the store for supplies.
De-icer and salt sell out fast with no halt.
I need new boots to tread on the ice.
The wind from the north is bitter and harsh,
But my temperature, still it is rising;
I am in a foul mood, for I see nothing good
That can come from a snowstorm arriving.
But then the flakes start, and I feel in my heart -
Watching white, fluffy, wonderful, wild
Filling all of my world with such beauty unfurled -
That in truth I am still just a child!
~ ~ ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a note. I'd really like to hear from you.