Friday, April 12, 2013

National Poetry Month Challenge - Day 11 - Tanka




The challenge for day 11 is to write an example of Tanka -- a form of Japanese poetry that is strictly disciplined by number of lines and syllables, but has no concern with rhyme. The format consists of five lines presented in the following syllable pattern: 5-7-5-7-7- respectively. I have to admit I did not spend a great deal of time on this one -- just because I did not have a great deal of time. But I did manage to stick with the exact number of lines and syllables and write something that even makes sense. So ... I'm satisfied --- well --- maybe even a little proud.

(Join the fun here: http://www.napowrimo.net/)
















BLOOD LINES

I'm American,
Which means I am a mixture.
My blood lines are strong:
Scottish, Polish, Cherokee.
It takes all three to make me.

~~~






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a note. I'd really like to hear from you.