Monday, September 17, 2012

The Cycle


To work, to try, to learn
Is not a simple thing.
My teacher, though, thinks learning
Comes on swift, effortless wings.
I'm sure she never struggled
To get words to come out right.
Or understand their meanings;
Recognize them all on sight.
She's prejudiced against me;
Doesn't like me above half;
Just wants to cause me trouble;
Wishes I weren't in her class.”

“I know how Peter struggles.
I've heard him heave the sighs.
I've seen his eyes drift out to rest
On azure-colored skies.
He thinks I'm hard and unfair
When his homework's never done;
When I make him keep re-taking tests
Instead of having fun.
He doesn't know I struggled once –
Knew the failure and the shame.
Has no idea the reason I teach
Is to save him from the same.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a note. I'd really like to hear from you.