Friday, May 3, 2013

National Poetry Month Challege - Day 25 - A Ballad




I got the last 4 poems that I did for NaPoWriMo posted onto my WordPress blog during April, but I did not get them posted here before the end of the month. Nevertheless, I will share them.
Also, I'm fudging just a little on Day 25 - the ballad - because I did not write this poem just for the April challenge. I actually wrote it some time ago.  However, taking the definition of 'ballad' in its simplest form -- a rhymed poem that tells a story -- this piece fits the criteria perfectly. And since it's a poem I enjoy very much myself, I decided I'd take advantage of the prompt and use it again.
I should probably add that the poem is based on a true event that I read about a couple of years ago. There really was a couple that had this experience during World War II, and there actually was an operator whose kind heart helped save their romance.
TELEPHONE POLESLOVE ON THE LINE
I read about a Navy guy;
'Twas during World War II;
He felt that he was so in love
But one thing he could do.
He was on leave, New England way,
And running out of time;
Snowed in, he could not meet his love.
His only hope - a dime.
So in the pay-phone booth, he dialed
The zero. Faith was high.
He told his soulful story to
The operator, Vi.
He gave the number for his love,
St. Louis her address,
And Vi said, “There's no promises,
But I will try my best.”
So, hanging on the line out east,
The sailor heaved a sigh
And waited with a pounding heart
Till he heard back from Vi.
“I have your party, sir,” she said,
Three minutes' worth of time."
“Three minutes!” cried the sailor.
“That isn't enough time!”
His darling's voice broke through the wire,
Her voice so light and thrilled,
“What great surprise, your calling now!
I heard you're snowed in, Bill.”
“Yes, dear, and now I can't get there
Before my leave is through,
But there is something vital that
I have to say to you.
“You know I've loved you for a while;
And I have to know for sure -- "
But Vi broke in just then to say,
“We've lost connection, sir.”
“Oh, no!” he cried. “You've got to help!
I'm ready to propose!
I couldn't go back overseas
Unless I'm sure she knows!”
“I'll try again,” Vi said, but then -- 
Back on the line, so sad -- 
“I can't get you connected, sir;
The weather is so bad.
“But I can hear your party, sir,
And it seems she can hear me.
If you'd want me to relay your words,
I'd do so happily.”
He heaved a sigh, wiped tear from eye,
And drew deep breath somehow.
“All right,” he said. “It'll have to do;
I need her answer now.
"Please say, ' I'm so in love with you
That before I go to sea,
I'm asking you to be my wife;
Please say you'll marry me.'"
So Vi relayed the message sweet;
He waited in a stew
'Till Vi came back online and said,
"She'd love to marry you!"
BLUE TELEPHONENow many years have come and gone;
The couple made their home.
And in every room the pride of place
Goes to the telephone.
~~~
The challenge is finished for this year, but you can still visit this link to find the blogs that participated and read their poetry:
http://www.napowrimo.net/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a note. I'd really like to hear from you.